- Chrysler Sebring Cabrio available outside North America in left-hand and right-hand drive, with both petrol and diesel engines
- Three automatically latching tops, including a retractable steel hard top, can drop with the press of a button on the key fob — a Sebring “first”
- Spacious interior makes comfortable room for four adults; exceptional cargo room easily fits four golf bags, or two golf bags when top is dropped
- Cutting-edge MyGIG™ multimedia infotainment system is one of several customer-friendly features
The Chrysler brand is “raising the roof” on the cabriolet segment with the European premiere of the all-new Chrysler Sebring Cabrio at the 77th International Motor Show in Geneva. This completely redesigned Sebring Cabrio is built on the Chrysler Group’s new D-segment platform and offers what no other cabrio on the road can offer: Chrysler’s sleek and elegant design, three convertible top options, and a spacious interior that comfortably sits four adults and offers enough room in the boot to hold two golf bags when the top is dropped.
For the first time, the all-new Chrysler Sebring Cabrio will be available with both petrol and diesel engine options, and in both left-hand and right-hand drive. The new Sebring Cabrio also offers what no other cabrio has offered before: three automatically latching convertible top options. Sebring Cabrio offers a vinyl top, a cloth top and a body-colour painted steel retractable hard top — all of which can be retracted with a push of a button on the key fob, a feature that only Sebring currently offers in its competitive set. Top that with a standard powered hard tonneau cover on all models and, top up or down, Sebring Cabrio provides the benefits of the saloon and the true open-air freedom of a cabrio, all at great value for money.
Chrysler designers looked to the future and the past when seeking inspiration for the Chrysler Sebring Cabrio. From the original sketches to the production vehicle, the all-new cabrio was designed to provide a familial tie to its new Sebring Sedan sibling, and the resemblance is unmistakable. Beyond that, the cabrio stretches the look with a longer body to create usable space in the trunk when the convertible top is stowed.
From the front view, the new Chrysler Sebring Cabrio shares many characteristics with its saloon sibling, including the distinctive face of Chrysler, the brand’s signature eggcrate grille and a uniquely sculptured bonnet that features the Chrysler brand’s elegant lines. The Chrysler winged badge is centred at the top of the grille just below the leading edge of the bonnet. Large quad headlamps wrap around to the side of the vehicle, where the all-new Sebring Cabrio’s profile takes on a shape all its own.
The all-new Chrysler Sebring Cabrio’s wheelbase is 73 millimetres (2.9 inches) longer, and the car is 84 millimetres (3.3 inches) taller and 23 millimetres (0.9 inches) wider than the vehicle it replaces. Its overall length is 72 millimetres (2.8 inches) longer than the saloon, which lengthens the side profile and provides enough cargo room in the boot to hold two golf bags when the roof is retracted. Sebring Cabrio’s profile is defined by a long bonnet, a long roofline and a high chrome beltline, all of which give the vehicle a nicely proportioned, elegant greenhouse with the top up. Designers also minimised the width of the C-pillar, improving the cabrio’s sleek side profile and increasing rearward visibility when the convertible top is up. Sculpted character lines run across the body, underneath the door handles and across the lower bodyside, producing the Sebring Cabrio’s athletic stance.
From the rear, wide taillamps are mounted on the corners and boot lid for visibility and visual impact. Rear fog lamps mounted in the reversing lamps help maintain a uniform appearance among models sold around the world.
The all-new Chrysler Sebring Cabrio’s interior features a modern, clean design with intense focus on quality, detail, craftsmanship and execution. Soft surfaces on interior touch points, including the instrument panel cover and door arm rests, complement the cabrio’s interior design theme.
Inspired by the Chrysler winged badge, the cabrio’s centre stack features a Chrysler signature analogue clock, which is surrounded by dual heating and air conditioning vents. Chrysler Sebring Cabrio’s instrument panel also includes a locking glove box that can secure important documents and small items. The centre floor console features dual storage bins and a sliding armrest that can be moved 76 millimetres (3 inches) to provide a comfortable position for all drivers.
As many as four occupants can experience the new Chrysler Sebring Cabrio’s comfortable, roomy interior. Occupants sit 64 millimetres (2.5 inches) higher than they did in the previous Sebring Cabrio model, giving them a command-of-the-road seating position. Rear seat passengers also have plenty of leg room and head room, making this a functional cabrio that can be enjoyed year round in all seasons.
All Chrysler Sebring Cabrio models feature a two-tone interior theme with dark and lighter shades of Khaki or Gray on the dashboard top, instrument panel and door trim. The Sebring Cabrio Limited model also features an exclusive Cream and Pebble Beige interior with leather seats. Interior accents include Satin Silver and chrome on the Touring model and Satin Silver, chrome and Tortoise Shell on the Limited model.
The Chrysler Sebring Cabrio’s development team paid keen attention to details, finding ways to make life easier for the driver and passengers, while creating a clean design that is user-friendly. The result is a new Sebring Cabrio that delivers many standard innovative and thoughtful features that will both surprise and delight the driver and passenger, including:
- A boot spacious enough to hold four golf bags when the convertible top is up and two golf bags when the convertible top is down
- Available remote convertible top operation on the key fob
- No manual convertible top latches, as Sebring’s new convertible top system automatically latches
- Standard powered hard tonneau cover that neatly conceals each of the three convertible tops when retracted
- Seat belts integrated into the front and rear seats, which looks clean, enhances occupant comfort and makes it easier for passengers to get into the back seat
- Easy-entry rear seat, as the front passenger seat features slide and memory recline position YES Essentials® stain-resistant, odour-resistant, anti-static seat fabric
- Available wind screen that fits behind the front seats to reduce wind buffeting and road noise
- Locking glove box that can secure important documents and small items, top up or down
- Available heated/cooled cup holder that keeps warm beverages warm and cold beverages cool
- Rear cup holders that are positioned in the rear quarter panels for easy access by rear-seat passengers
- Front passenger seat back that includes a map pocket for storage
- Doors that include map pockets
“The all-new Chrysler Sebring Cabrio brings not only thoughtful features, but also purposeful technology to customers at a good value,” said Stephane Labous, Director – International Marketing and Communications. “MyGIG is a great example. This system is meant for customers to interact and use the technology on a daily basis, to make their drive more enjoyable. The Chrysler brand is not about including technology just for technology’s sake.”
MyGIG is a cutting-edge multimedia infotainment system that raises the bar on in-vehicle communications. This next-generation navigation radio features a 16.5-centimetre (6.5-inch) Thin Film Transistor (TFT) display with a touch-screen panel that can support 65,000 colours. The system provides a two- or three-dimensional appearance to graphics and animation, as well as multiple font sizes and styles. The system provides real-time traffic updates and incorporates many new features for music, sound, movies and personalised picture displays, including:
- A 20-gigabyte hard disc drive for storing map data for the navigation system and photos
- Universal Serial Bus (USB) port that allows for the transfer of photos onto the hard drive
- Voice memo recording, which allows a message up to three minutes long to be recorded using the microphone integrated into the rear-view mirror Display screen that can display movies when the vehicle is in Park
- Capability to support three simultaneous audio output sources
- UConnect® Hands-free Communication System, available as an after-sales accessory, that uses Bluetooth® technology to provide voice-activated wireless communication between the occupants’ compatible mobile phone and the vehicle’s onboard receiver
- Functionality in six languages (Dutch, English, French, German, Italian and Spanish)
Athletic Performance With Excellent Fuel Efficiency
The Chrysler Sebring Cabrio is available outside North America with two engine options: the standard 2.0-litre turbo diesel engine and optional 2.7-litre V-6 petrol engine.
For value- and performance-conscious consumers, the modern 2.0 CRD engine produces 103 kW (140 hp DIN) and 310 Nm (229 lb.-ft.) of torque, coupled with a six-speed manual transaxle. This diesel engine, a first for the Chrysler Group in the D-segment, delivers excellent overall performance and fuel economy.
The 2.7-litre V-6 petrol engine produces 138 kW (188 hp DIN) and 256 Nm (189 lb.-ft.) of torque, providing more low-end torque (at an rpm 850 lower) compared with the 2.7-litre engine it replaces. This engine, paired with a new six-speed automatic transaxle, will be available for Europe by the end of 2007.
Solid Structure Provides a Smooth Ride
The Chrysler Sebring Cabrio was engineered to have an extremely rigid body structure, which ensures it has a quiet, comfortable ride, devoid of cowl shake even when the top is down. Compared with the model it replaces, the new Sebring Cabrio’s body structure is substantially stiffer than its predecessor in bending and torsion — especially bending — due to very robust sills. In fact, its new front-wheel-drive architecture and the three-box vehicle design contribute to a body that is 2.5 times stiffer in twist (torsion) and 1.5 times stiffer in flex (bending) than the previous generation cabrio. These refinements also make the new Sebring Cabrio structure stiffer than many other cabrios on the market.
Full Package of Safety Features
The all-new Chrysler Sebring Cabrio also offers a unique combination of safety features that are designed to keep occupants both safe and secure, top up or down. For example, a new integrated seat-belt system mounts all seat belts on the seats, making them more comfortable for the driver and passengers, as well as making it much easier for passengers to get in and out of the rear seat.
Chrysler Sebring Cabrio’s bodyshell safety cage is constructed with dual-phase, high-strength and ultra-high-strength steel components designed to protect occupants in all driving situations. Side-guard door beams help protect occupants in side impacts. Sebring Cabrio’s extremely strong safety cage is complemented with standard advanced multi-stage front air bags and standard front-seat-mounted side air bags. Anti-lock brakes (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution are standard on all Sebring Cabrio models, together with Traction Control System and Electronic Stability Programme (ESP).
Chrysler Sebring Cabrio Production
Production of the new Chrysler Sebring Cabrio began in the first quarter of 2007 at the newly refurbished Sterling Heights (Michigan) Assembly Plant in the U.S. Sebring Cabrio’s new 2.7-litre V-6 petrol engine is built at the Kenosha (Wisconsin) Engine Plant.
PRELIMINARY TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
The information shown is based on data available at the time of publication (Feb. 20, 2007) and is subject to change without notice. Specifications are valid for Europe and may vary in other markets. General Information Body Style: Two-door cabriolet Assembly Plant: Sterling Heights, Mich., USA
2.0-litre Turbo Diesel Engine
- Availability: Standard on all models (Europe)
- Type and Description: Four cylinders in line, turbocharged
- Displacement: 2.0 litres (1969cc / 120.1 cu. in.)
- Bore x Stroke: 81 x 95.5mm (3.19 x 3.76 in.)
- Compression Ratio: 18.1:1
- Maximum Power: 103 kW (140 hp DIN) @ 4000 rpm
- Maximum Torque: 310 Nm (229 lb.-ft.) @ 1750 rpm
- Emission Class: Euro 4
2.7-litre V-6 Petrol Engine
- Availability: Optional on all models (standard in Middle East)
- Type and Description: Six cylinders 60-degree, liquid-cooled, dual-tuned intake manifold with electronically controlled manifold tuning valve
- Displacement: 2.7 litres (2736cc / 167 cu. in.)
- Bore x Stroke: 86 x 78.5mm (3.39 x 3.09 in.)
- Compression Ratio: 9.9:1
- Maximum Power: 138 kW (188 hp DIN) @ 6500 rpm
- Maximum Torque: 256 Nm (189 lb.-ft.) @ 4000 rpm
- Emission Class: Euro 4
Availability:Standard with 2.0-litre turbo diesel engine
Description: Aisin BG6: Six-speed, overdrive, synchronised in all ratios, cable-operated, four-plane shifter with reverse lockout ring
Automatic Availability: Standard with 2.7-litre petrol engine (Europe)
Description: 62TE: Six-speed, overdrive, adaptive electronic control or Auto Stick driver-interactive manual control, electronically modulated torque converter clutch
Availability :Standard with 2.7-litre petrol engine (Middle East)
Description: VLP 41TE: Four-speed, overdrive, VLP adaptive electronic control, electronically modulated converter clutch
Front-wheel Drive: Standard with all engines
Chassis and Running Gear
- Front Suspension: Independent MacPherson strut, coil spring over gas-charged shock absorbers, stabiliser bar with isolated suspension cradle
- Rear Suspension: Multi-link independent with coil springs, link-type stabiliser bar, gas-charged shock absorbers and isolated rear suspension cradle
- Steering Type: Speed-proportional, power rack-and-pinion
- Wheels and Tyres (standard fit): Touring: 17 x 6.5 in. with P215/60R17 three-season performance tyres
- Limited: 18 x 7 in. with P215/55R18 three-season performance tyres
- Brakes: Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS, EBD, TCS, ESP
Dimensions and Accommodations
Dimensions are in millimetres (inches) unless otherwise noted.
- Overall Length: 4922 (193.8)
- Overall Width: 1815 (71.5) without mirrors
- Overall Height: 1485 (58.5)
- Wheelbase: 2765 (108.9)
- Track, Front: 1570 (61.8)
- Track, Rear: 1570 (61.8)
- Seating Capacity: Two front, two rear
- Cargo Compartment Volume: 320 litres (11.3 cu. ft.), SAE standard